Sunday, June 18, 2017

Short and Sweet Book Reviews # 109 - The Grey Nebula by Laura Martone, John Scalzi, Serenity Harbor by RaeAnne Thayne

>
The Grey Nebula: War of the Way - Book 1The Grey Nebula: War of the Way - Book 1 by Laura Martone
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Do you like space pirates? The Grey Nebula is a slightly off center story with pirates at the heart. I loved the crew of the Damnation. Colburn Sephiran is the main character in the story and he is having a very bad day. Col is older than most heros and most of the time he is not what you would consider a hero. That changes when his captain (who is a real scumbag) takes a job that puts whole worlds at risk. There are crew who are loyal to Col. After the captain ditches them and leaves them for dead they have to work together to stop the destruction and recover the Damnation. This group of character are not your usual. They are true pirates and sometimes are not that likable. In spite of that, they people a fun tension filled story with more to came as this is only book 1.


The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency #1)The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was frequently over the top in cuteness. I listened to the audio book and had to keep from rolling my eyes most of the time. Even so I gave it five stars because it was so much fun to listen to. I don't think it would have been as much fun if I was reading the book.  I enjoyed meeting the characters and seeing how misinformation was driving part of the plot. The dialog was snarky and the action continuous. All of the plot, world building, character development and back story were very well done . Nothing was solved while all the elements were put in place for future action and then the book just ended. I am ready for book 2 and hope it comes out soon.


Serenity Harbor (Haven Point, #6)Serenity Harbor by RaeAnne Thayne
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I liked how Thayne worked current issues into the story. The child in this story has autism and his brother, Bowie Callahan, wants to give him the very best life. Unfortunately he does not know how to do this and that is where the story starts. Professional help will arrive in two weeks but Bowie needs help now. That is where Katrina Bailey comes in. She could use the money he offers her to fill in the next two weeks. Of course they are attracted to each other but there are problems on Katrina's side. A nice story that highlights some of the problems parents face today..

View all my reviews

No comments: