Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Short and Sweet Audio Book Reviews # 112 - Legion: Skin Deep by Brandon Sanderson, A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers, A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was an interesting book. It is very strong on character development, backstory, and world building. What it was not strong on was plot. I knew something bad was going to happen when the crew of the Wayfarer took a new job in a dangerous part of space. However that was just a backdrop to learning about the crew and their history. When the danger finally happened it was just a small part of the story line. I started reading this one several times and did not get very far. The audio book works much better and I ended up giving the book 5 stars and voting for it to get the Hugo.


A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was not at all what I expected. I listened to this right after finishing A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and expected to meet the crew of the Wayfarer again. What I did meet was the Wayfarer's former AI, now called Sidra, and Pepper a side character from the first book. Again this was strong on character development, world building and back story. The book is divided between Pepper and her story and the AI, Sidra, and her struggle to adjust to life in a body instead of a ship. It took a while for the story to catch me but when it did I had trouble making myself stop listening. An interesting take on a series. I wonder what book three will be and if I will meet the Wayfarer crew again.


Skin Deep (Legion, #2)Skin Deep by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Stephen Leeds, AKA “Legion,” is an unusual character. He has so many aspects he can fill an entire book without any help. His aspects are fully formed characters who travel with him and help solve mysteries. They are the most unusual part of the book. It is well know that he has imaginary helpers that travel with him. He goes as far as ordering them food in a restaurant and making sure that they have a seat at the table. This is a fun read as Leeds deals with both real and imaginary characters to solve the mystery of the missing body.

View all my reviews

No comments: