Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Short and Sweet Book Reviews #49- The Rise of Io by Wesley Chu, Forsaken Skies by D. Nolan Clark, Pets in Space by Multiple Authors (see below)

The Rise of IoThe Rise of Io by Wesley Chu
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a set up for new action in the series that started with The Lives of Tao. We still see Cameron Tan but he is not the main characters. That is Ella Patel, a thief and con artiste who finds herself with a body swapping alien, one of the Quasing and not one of the important ones. Io has chosen Ella and Ella is not that happy about it. That starts a story that is filled with danger, twist, turns and excitement. The plot revolves around a new project in India and it drives the action. However the main focus is getting to know Ella, Io and the world they inhabit. There is a lot of mystery about Io while Ella has to change how she has lived most of her life. This is a fun read with plenty of suspend and a real cliff hanger at the end. This will stand alone even though some of the world building and back story happened in the books about Tao.


Forsaken Skies (The Silence, #1)Forsaken Skies by D. Nolan Clark
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Have you ever read a book that just seemed to go on forever? If so you may feel that way about Forsaken Skies. I certainly did. It was not because it was a bad story. Quite the opposite. It is a very well crafted story full of interesting characters, great backstory and excellent world building. It also had very long passages full of explanation about the mechanics behind the technology. That was also very well done and easy to understand. However, that part of the book was what made me feel it went on forever. If you like that you will give this five stars. As I want to get on with the action and the explanations slowed the story line down for me it is a four star book. This is the first book in a series and I will read book two. Why? Because the problem in book one is very far reaching. Even though they did what they started out to do the solution brought on a much larger problem. So stay tuned.

View all my reviews Pets in SpacePets in Space by by 
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a must read for all Science Fiction Romance fans. The stories in this collection are all outstanding. Most are by authors I knew but a few introduced me to some new authors. I had seen reviews of stories by S.E. Smith but this was the first time to read anything by her. Susan Grant takes us back to Baresh. She gives us a story about a great couple brought together by Bang-Bang the dog. See if you ask what happened to a minor characters. If you do you will find out that the character is going to get his own story. Cara Bristol bring us another cyborg who does not know he is ready for love until it smacks him in the face. My favorite is Star Cruise: Stowaway by Veronica Scott. I really enjoyed visiting the Nebula Zephyr again. It was nice to meet the new characters and get to visit with the ones for Star Curise: Outbreak. Pauline Baird Jones is anther of my favorite authors and she has a real dragon as the pet in her story. Alexis Glynn Latner, Lea Kirk and Carysa Locke were the other three who I had never read but really enjoyed getting to know. I read a book by Laurie A Green several years ago and I got a re-introduction in Pets in Space. This was a can't put down read for me and I think it will be for all of you.

View all my reviews

No comments: