Thursday, February 27, 2014

Blades of the Old Empire (Majat Code #1 )by Anna Kashina

Fantasy

From Goodreads:

Kara is a mercenary – a Diamond warrior, the best of the best, and a member of the notorious Majat Guild. When her tenure as protector to Prince Kythar comes to an end, custom dictates he accompany her back to her Guild to negotiate her continued protection.

But when they arrive they discover that the Prince’s sworn enemy, the Kaddim, have already paid the Guild to engage her services – to capture and hand over Kythar, himself.

A warrior brought up to respect both duty and honour, what happens when her sworn duty proves dishonorable?

Blades of the Old Empire was not exactly what I expected.  While Kara and Prince Kythar are major characters they are not the only ones who drive the story.  It is the first book in a new series so there was a lot more that had to go into the book.

World Building:  This is a complex world and almost each scene has elements that add to the world.  There were time when I felt lost but by the end I felt I had a pretty good handle on the world.
 
Back Story:  I have some questions about the back story.  I kept feeling like I was missing something.  There were times when it felt like this was book two.  The characters would talk about things that had happened in the past and it sounded like I should know about those things.  However when I went to check this is book one.

Plot:  Like the world building the plot is very complex.  There are several distinct groups of people in this world.  There is the past trying to come into the present. Added to that are the main characters who do not stay together.  The plot unfolds as the past, the present and the characters are worked into the story. Since this is book one in the series there are also numerous hooks for future stories worked into the plot. Look for some things to be resolved but a lot left up in the air.

Characters:  Each of the main characters have their own story stream.  The formatting does indicated when you switch from one character to another but several times I had to go back because I had not made the switch.  There is some character development but this is very much an action driven story.

Writing:  Each scene is very well written.  Action and dialog keep the story moving at a fast clip.  The fight scenes were especially well written making it easy to see what was happening.

Enjoyment Level:  I found it difficult to get into the book at first.  There was a lot I did not understand but once I got past the first few chapters I was hooked.  Now I want to see what happens in the next book. 

Angry Robot published Blades of the Old Empire by Anna Kashina in 2014.


I received an ARC of Blades of the Old Empire from Netgalley.

No comments: